Thursday, March 18, 2010

I never said it wouldn't get personal

So my father bought me this amazing book, How To Avoid Falling in Love with a Jerk- The foolproof Way to Follow Your Heart Without Losing Your Mind by John Van Epp. I have to say I was a bit skeptical when my dad handed it to me, I was like "come on dad, I don't need this. I'm perfectly capable of selecting a nice guy, a normal guy." He then laughed at me and said one word, one name, Erik. Yes, ok, there was a time when I was head over heels for a jerk. So I guess this is my dad's attempt to help out his little girl without psychoanalyzing me himself (My dad is a psychiatrist). I've started reading the book and I have to say it is actually really good, I find myself answering back to the author's writing, thinking, yes, yes yes! I've been in that situation, I know exactly what you're talking about. So ladies if you haven't already you need to read this book, actually guys too because one of the opening lines of the book is that "jerks have no gender, they come in all shapes, forms, and sizes."

I'm going to quote the book some so you can get the idea of how great it is!

"The most fundamental identifying feature of a true jerk is their persistent resistance to ever changing their core jerk qualities. No matter how many times they have been confronted by you or others, they still persist in their hurtful pattern."
"The first criterion for identifying a jerk is the habit of breaking boundaries. Boundary breakers come in many forms. One common type is the player. Players have an insatiable appetite for attention and the intoxicating excitement of infatuation. For a player, living, within the fences of one relationship is both boring and unfulfilled."
"Good-hearted people have the greatest risk for staying in a relationship with a jerk, because good-hearted people so quickly forgive, overlook problems, minimize shortcomings, and give second chances."
"Time is the ultimate proof of a promise to change."

Like I said above, its a fun and easy read. I highly recommend you pick it up right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails